Grilled Asparagus & Roasted Mushroom Salad with Toasted Pecans, Blue Cheese & Red Chile Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 pound asparagus, grilled
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms (portobello, cremini, shiitake) coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 8 ounces American blue cheese
Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper. Toss asparagus with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Arrange 1/4 of the mushrooms in the center of each plate. Arrange asparagus around the mushrooms. Sprinkle pecans and blue cheese around the edge of the plate. Drizzle with more of the dressing
Red Chile Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Whisk together mustard, ancho powder, salt and vinegar, slowly whisk in oil until emulsified. Season with more salt, to taste.
We understand that summer is a hair away, but when I look outside I still see rain. This is one last recipe to celebrate spring rain before the heat waves hit!
- 3 pounds fresh asparagus, rinsed
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup minced shallots
- 1 cup minced leeks, whites only, well rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, garnish
Trim the attractive top tips from the asparagus, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in length. Cut the woody stem ends from each spear and reserve. Cut the remaining tender stalks into 1/2-inch pieces.
In a medium pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add the tough woody stems, lower the heat and simmer to infuse with asparagus flavor, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard, reserving the stock.
Add the decorative tips to the stock and blanch until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with a strainer and refresh in an ice water bath. Drain on paper towels and reserve for the garnish. Reserve the stock.
In a medium stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When foamy, add the shallots and leeks and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chopped asparagus stalks, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the reserved broth and simmer until the asparagus are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
With a hand-immersion blender or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. If serving right away, return to medium heat and add the cream and reserved asparagus tips. Cook, stirring, until the soup is warmed through, about 3 minutes.
Alternatively, if serving the soup later, do not add the cream and let cool at room temperature (or in an ice water bath). Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, add the cream and asparagus tips, and warm the soup gently over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
To serve, place the soup in a soup tureen and sprinkle with cheese. Ladle into demi-tasse cups or small coffee or tea cups, and serve.
Pineapple Upside-Down Biscuits
In spite of national biscuit day, at A Bread Affair we would like to celebrate and say hey here’s our twist to the original biscuit.
- 1 (10-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 1 (12-ounce) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 count)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease 10 cups of a muffin tin. Strain the can of crushed pineapple, save juice for later. Combine the pineapple, sugar, and butter, and mix well. Divide the pineapple mixture among the muffin cups. Place a cherry in the center of each muffin cup, making sure cherry hits bottom of cup. Place 1 biscuit in each cup on top of sugar and pineapple mixture. Spoon 1 teaspoon reserved pineapple juice over each biscuit. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool for 2 minutes. Invert the pan onto a plate to release the biscuits. Serve warm.
This delicious vegan recipe can be quickly prepared from ingredients that most likely you probably already have in your fridge. Pair with simply bread & classic bread, the traditional french baguette.
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the rice and 1 cup water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Place lentils in a pot with the remaining 1 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in the onion and garlic. Mix in tomato, celery, carrots, zucchini, and 1/2 the tomato sauce. Season with 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the oregano, 1/2 the cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a casserole dish, mix the rice, lentils, and vegetables. Top with remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle with remaining basil, oregano, and cumin.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly.
A Bread Affair’s Easter Morning French Toast
|1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened|
|1 tsp. vanilla|
|1/2 c. walnuts or pecans|
|1 loaf of cranberry semolina|
|1/2 c. whipping cream|
|1/2 tsp. vanilla|
|1/2 tsp. nutmeg|
|1 (12 oz.) jar apricot preserves or seedless raspberry jam|
|1/2 c. orange juice|
1. Beat the cream cheese and vanilla together until fluffy. Stir in the nuts. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture on a slice of bread. Top with a second piece of bread (like a sandwich). Repeat this process 10-12 times until the mixture is all used.
2. Beat together the eggs, whipping cream, vanilla, nutmeg & orange juice. Dip the “sandwiches” into the egg/juice mixture. Cook on a lightly greased griddle until golden brown, turn to cook the other side. Keep the cooked “sandwiches” warm by placing them on a baking sheet in a warm oven.
3. Meanwhile, heat together the preserves and orange juice. To serve, dust the Stuffed French Toast with powdered sugar and drizzle the warm sauce over the top. Makes 10-12 pieces.
Monetary Muenster Mash Grilled Cheese
In addition to the muenster, it’s got fresh avocado and sweet onions inside. The avocado is jazzed up with a little fiery horseradish that gives this grilled cheese a kick. Find fresh horseradish at your local farmers market for savory horseradish.
On top is a crisp, tasty crust of swiss cheese and sunflower seeds. Cheese on top of grilled cheese? Heck yeah!
1 large Haas avocado
1 tsp lime or lemon juice
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 roasted garlic & cheese loaf
10 oz muenster cheese, sliced
1/2 of a medium sweet onion, sliced paper thin
Olive oil for brushing
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds kernels
4 oz swiss cheese
Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl and chop into chunks. Fold in juice, horseradish, salt & pepper.
Cut roasted garlic & cheese in slices (however many you want to make that’s how many slices). Spread 1/4 of the avocado on each of the bottom halves, top with 1/4 of the onions, and 1/4 of the muenster.
Place the upper half of the bread on top, brush the top with olive oil, and carefully lay the sandwiches top side down in a skillet or griddle. Cook over medium heat until top is lightly toasted. Carefully flip sandwiches over and brown other side.
While the sandwiches are browning, pulse the sunflower seeds in a food processor until coarsely ground.
Press the seed mixture onto the tops of the sandwiches and place under the broiler until bubbly. Makes four sandwiches.
Mascarpone & Dulce De Leche Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This is truly a grill cheese sandwich for everyone with a sweet tooth. This can be served at brunch or for dessert!
- 4 ounces mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons dulce de leche
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices of cranberry semolina bread
- 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- In a small bowl, combine Mascarpone, dulce de leche and vanilla extract.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread the mascarpone mixture on the non-buttered side of 4 of the bread slices.
- Spread raspberry preserves on the non-buttered side of the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Place one slice of bread with raspberry preserves on each mascarpone-topped bread slice, buttered sides out.
- Place sandwiches on an electric griddle heated to 350ºF, or in a preheated skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until bread is lightly toasted. Remove and serve immediately, unsliced.
Since cheese is very soft, it is better to serve these sandwiches whole, rather than slicing them in half. Now enjoy this delightful twist to the grill cheese sandwich!
The recipe this week is what I am making for dinner tonight. It is a lovely rain forest roast chicken, that incorporates the essence of ginger, garlic, hokkien noodles, and ground lemon myrtle. Pair the rain forest chicken with a simple traditional baguette, mhmm bon appetite!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 green capsicum, sliced
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 (400 g) packet hokkien noodles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy davidson’s plum sauce
- 12 snow peas
- 1/4 red cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground lemon myrtle
- 2 shallots, chopped (garnish)
- Stir fry chicken strips with onion, ginger, garlic and 1 tbsp oil until the chicken’s cooked. Then remove.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, capsicum and carrot; cook slightly then add the hokkien noodles, soy sauce, Davidson plum sauce and cooked chicken.
- Cook until noodles are hot then add snow peas, red cabbage and lemon myrtle, stir through. Garnish with shallots and serve
Very Berry Salad Recipe
It’s going to be a BERRY BERRY good time!
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Cointreau)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 16-ounce container strawberries, trimmed
- 1 8-ounce container blueberries
- 1 6-ounce container raspberries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves